United World Colleges (UWC)
"The striking thing about UWC is that they embrace the entire world across all divides of race, history, culture, wealth, religion, economic status and political belief: they are unique and they are conscious of their responsibilities." N. Mandela, Honorary President
The UWC movement includes thirteen pre-university schools teaching the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) program, with the main aim of making education a force to unite people, nations and cultures. All UWC schools share the same mission, ethos and values, with school locations stretching across the globe: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Swaziland, USA, Venezuela, and Wales to mention a few.
This year, there are FOUR potential scholarship awards available to Malawian nationals who successfully completed the MSCE or the IGCSE in 2015 or 2016, for entry into UWC programmes for UWC Li Po Chun, Pearson College and UWC Changshu China in August 2017; and for UWC Waterford Kamhlaba in January 2018. For further information on what and who UWC is, refer to [www.uwc.org].
● UWC Waterford Kamhlaba in Swaziland is offering a 25 % scholarship (towards fees and tuition). The candidate would need to cover the remaining 75 %, pocket money and travel costs.
● UWC Changshu in China is offering a 50 % scholarship (towards fees and tuition). The candidate would need to cover the remaining 50 %, pocket money and travel costs.
● UWC Li Po Chun in China and UWC Pearson in Canada are each offering full scholarships. Note: the candidate may need to cover the pocket money and travel costs.
Applicants should be those born between 2000 and 2001 (inclusive). Applications should be in the student's own handwriting (even when scanned in emails) and should include the following five components:
(i) A cover letter (300-500 words) giving reasons for the application – This letter should include; (i) two passport size photos if mailing by post or a scanned photograph if by email, (ii) the student's full names, (iii) gender, (iv) date of birth, (v) place of birth, (vi) telephone and/or email contact details, and (vii) a good record of extra-curricular and service activities;
(ii) A short essay (200-300 words) commenting on the following statement – "First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Socialist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—Because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me. - Martin Niemöller";
(iii) Personal reference from the school principal, or a school teacher well acquainted with the student; and
(iv) MSCE or IGCSE results.
(v) The candidate's family/parents will be required to indicate that they will be responsible for covering any balances/costs as outlined above.
All individual applications must be received by 5pm on Friday 17h March, 2017. Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
Individual applications should be physically mailed OR scanned and emailed to:
Mail: UWC Review Panel; P.O. Box X70, Crossroads, Lilongwe, Malawi
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in a one day interview with the national UWC review panel. This selection will take place in Lilongwe on Saturday 25th March, 2017 at a venue to be communicated to the successfully shortlisted candidates.
For more information call: 0992-070-429, 0992685600, 0999-980-009 or 0999931940 or email email@example.com
1 year ago